2.01.2006

WE'RE ENGAGED!!!


My BEAUTIFUL ring, picked out by Jay, all by himself.




The Anniversary Scavenger Hunt


January 31 was our one-year anniversary, and I thought we were having an activity and going out to dinner. He was supposed to pick me up at my house at 4, but shortly before then, he called and told me he was running late and asked me to meet him at his house. So I headed out and when I arrived at his house, I found a envelope on the door with a clue. Jay led me on a scavenger hunt with clues he had written to different locations around Redlands and San Bernardino. I got to go look through the library for clues he had put in books, and then I was supposed to check the books out. At some of these locations I just got another clue, but at some I got little gift/trinkets...a coin, a shirt, a picture frame. I didn't put anything together because I didn't realize that these things were clues as well. My last clue was at the Loma Linda Hospital where Jay works, and Carol and Diana helped me crack Jay's clues, as well as his locker. The last and final clue told me to go back to my house in Yucaipa, where I had left not four hours ago.


When I arrived back at my house from my scavenger/treasure hunt, I found this trail of rose petals and long-stemmed red roses leading from the doorstep... Posted by Picasa



...through the kitchen and sitting room... Posted by Picasa



...into my bedroom filled with roses, petals, candles, and little bits from our relationship. There we re pictures of us up and things from our travels together. He sat me down and had me tell him and show him what I had collected on my journey. I was like, "Uh, some books, a coin, a shirt..." He told me that he would explain it to me... Posted by Picasa



The Clues: Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue..
.



It turns out that all these things I had been picking up along the way were clues, and I didn't pick up on what was going on until he said "something old" and "something borrowed...."

Something old, (antique picture frame)
something new, (you'll see...)
something borrowed, (library books)
something blue, (Blue Jays t-shirt)
and a silver sixpence in her shoe. (the oft-neglected last line of the rhyme)

And for something new, Jay then pulled out a diamond ring, got on one knee, and asked me to marry him.Posted by Picasa





And of course, I said yes. Posted by Picasa


Followed by lots of kissing.






What a way to spend an anniversary.
You're my favorite, Jay, wo ai ni.

P.S. The "proposal picture" is a re-enactment of actual events. We do, however, have it filmed on a videocamera Jay hid in the room...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill!! I'm Allison, I work with your SUPER WONDERFUL fiance!!! I just wanted to say congratulations!! I myself just got engaged a few weeks ago, and just reading your story gave me chills!! I love "being engaged" and we're having so much fun planning the wedding. Best of luck to you guys!!! Enjoy it, I hear it goes fast! : )

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

I am excited for you both and think it's fantastic you're engaged....finally.

Let's plan our trip downunder!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm an old friend of Jay's and Steve's sister.
Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!
I am so happy for the both of you.
P.S. Could you tell Jay hello for me?

Anonymous said...

Jill, it's Sharon. I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every moment of your wonderful life together!!! Congratulations to the both of you!

Countries I've visited

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited countries mapJavaScript charts