10.09.2006

The Suzuka Grand Prix

Last Sunday was the Formula 1 Grand Prix here in Japan. It is the last year it is being held at the Suzuka Circuit, as next year they are going to start using a track at Mt. Fuji, apparently. Now, this is not information that I have on my own. I've never seen, or cared to see, a race in my life of any kind of vehicle. I didn't know that marrying Jay would mean I was sucked into the world of cars and motorcycles. He hates NASCAR, so I assumed that meant any kind of car racing. But no. The minute he heard when the Grand Prix was, he had it on the calendar to go. We live about 50 km from the circuit, so it wasn't too far of a ride for us, and so I agreed to go.

We couldn't actually get in to see the race because they don't sell tickets on the day of. So we rode around the outside of the track to see if we could catch a glimpse inside.


The view from the road


If we stood on top of the guardrail, we could actually see the cars. Not that you needed to see them to know that they were there. They were LOUD. You could hear them from kilometers away. It was nuts.




Apparently, everyone else had the same idea. But with binoculars.





Posted by Picasa

We cruised around to the other side and found an area ten feet away from the actual track where Fuji TV had set up a big screen. So we were sitting watching the cars on the screen, with the cars roaring behind our heads. It was crazy, and tons of fun.

No comments:

Countries I've visited

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited countries mapJavaScript charts