3.11.2007

{Invasion of the Yellow Hats}


I've had a couple questions asked about this picture, so I thought I would give the explanation. I don't have the attention span to sit down and write things on my blog, so I usually just throw pictures up and call it good. But I am pretty proud of this little picture here, so I'll put in my two cents.

After quitting my job working for filthy people at a crappy private school in December, I got a job in the public schools in a town nearby Nagoya. In Japan, the elementary school students have to wear these yellow hats to and from school every single day....so you see them everywhere. Especially if you work at a school. They don't have school buses here...the moms just walk the students to a certain place in the town, and groups of the students walk together to school. I guess the yellow hats make it easier to see the students and dodge them with your car. These are the hats for the boys (just regular baseball caps) and the girls wear sort-of sun hats with brims. Same color, same little emblem of the school district. They also have matching hard-sided backpacks (red for girls, black for boys). Junior high and senior high school students wear full uniforms, so maybe the matching hats are a way to work the kids into it.

My friend, the great Ann Marlowe, reminded me to take pictures of everyday things here in Japan that you take for granted...like the yellow hats. So I took this picture one morning on my way to school...these boys are just a few of the 2,ooo students I teach. I decided to try a little something out on Photoshop, and think this one's a winner. This one's for you, Sister Marlowe...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are intrigued by the yellow hats, and would like to know more!

Happy 300th journiversary!

Looking forward to seeing you both next month!

Can't think of anything else worth a !

Lynn & Roger

Leslie said...

Jill...
Love the new look! Appropriate for the season. Looks like you are near a more high-functioning computer than last time I talked to you, so maybe we can keep in touch now!
Looks like you are living it up in Japan! Did you photoshop the yellow hats yourself?

Naoma said...

I got in!!! It has bee forever!! How the heck are you! I can't beleive that you are living in Japan! How cool is that! How long have you been married? I am glad that you found my Blog!

Naoma said...

sorry about the misspelling I didn't read it over before I posted... I really can spell! Hope you are doing well!

Countries I've visited

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited countries mapJavaScript charts