6.07.2011

{Modified afghan scarf}


I have been looking into learning how to crochet for a long time, and my grandma is a master crochet-ist. (??) So my sister and I went over to her house and she taught us how to make an afghan. After three hours of crocheting, I was only about 3 rows into a 116 row afghan, and wasn't seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. So when I got home and back into the project, I decided to modify the afghan pattern and make it into a scarf. Seeing as this was my first time learning to crochet, I think I did quite well! It's nice and thick, and the perfect length for a scarf. I used Super Saver Red Heart worsted medium 4-ply yarn with a size H hook. Next time I think I would use a size I hook and possibly softer yarn (the Red Heart yarn can be kinda scratchy). It took less than 7 ounces (I don't know exactly, but I had a 7 oz skein and didn't use nearly all of it).

The only stitches you need to know are a chain (ch), single crochet (sc), and double crochet (dc).


Ch 201 loosely, turn

Row 1: Sc in 2nd chain from hook, dc in next chain, *sc in next chain, dc in next chain; repeat from * across: 200 stitches, ch 1, turn

Row 2: *Sc in next dc, dc in next sc; rep from * across, ch 1, turn

Row 3 and 4: Rep Row 2. At the end of Row 4, ch 3 (counts as first dc on following rows), turn

Row 5: Dc in each st across; ch 3, turn

Rows 6, 7, and 8: Rep Row 5. At end of Row 8, ch 1, turn

Row 9, 10, 11, 12: Rep Row 2. At end of Row 12, finish off and weave in ends.


For the fringe, use 6 strands for each knot, and make the length twice as long as you would like the fringe (you will be folding them in half). Fold the 6 strands in half, and pull the folded end through the end of the afghan at your chosen places (I did 5 fringes across). Pull the loose ends through the fold, securing the fringe to the scarf. Repeat for each 5 fringes on each end.

Happy crocheting!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [11 Jun 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Countries I've visited

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited countries mapJavaScript charts