4.15.2011

{Wilton Cake Decorating Class}

Somewhere in the beginning of 2011 I got the hankering to try and make cakes and cupcakes. I blame it on watching too much "Cake Boss" on Netflix. Over the next several weeks and with several Michael's 40% off coupons in hand, I made an attempt at decorating. I bought this Wilton book, that I have LOVED. My favorite part is where is tells you how many cups of batter you need for what sizes of cake pans. Genius. Saved my life. And I still religiously use the buttercream recipe in here. It is magical.


After flipping through the book and feeling pretty confident about my caking-abilities (HA), I took a stab at making my little sister a BYU Cougars-inspired cake for her birthday. You know when you picture something you are going to bake/decorate in your head and it comes out totally different? Or, in my case, totally ridiculous?? I pictured navy frosting (which I could NOT get it to turn navy) and smooth frosting (which I could NOT get it to do, either). Yikes. And why on earth did I try and do a two-layer cake when I had no idea what I was doing? Although ugly, at least it was tasty.

(I thought about lettering BYU, but "A" for Andi was shorter and easier)


And let's not forget the unintentionally-Dr. Seuss-looking cake for my baby's first birthday-photo-shoot-cake-smash. Once again, SOOOOO not what I was invisioning while I was making it. So crooked and so wrong in so many ways :)



It's a good thing it's purpose in life was to be smashed for the photo shoot. Bye bye creepy cake.



After being frustrated that I literally had a kitchen full of fun baking gadgets and no idea how to properly use them, my sister and I decided to finally sign up for a Wilton cake decorating class. We signed up for the 4-week Course 1 Decorating Basics. There was a kit to buy, plus some other things, but my shopping obsession had led me to purchase almost everything on the list already :)

Class One: Cookies. Easy, right? Ha. My cookies were not the most attractive things in the world. But I did get used to the angles of the piping bag and using tips I hadn't used before...mostly a lot of stars (#16 and #18).


Class Two: Cake with an image transfer with piping gel. I thought this little birdie would be cute. And I was sort-of pleased with it until I realized the bird was off center, I had some chocolate cake peeking through my blue frosting, and the cake was WAY off center on the cake round. Oh well...I ate it anyway. It was wicked good. And I got to finally pull a Buddy Valastro and "dirty ice" a cake. Highlight.


Class Three: Cupcakes. A little more my scene. Got to try some fun flowers and get lots of practice. I loved the rosettes (the top middle one).



Class Four: Final Cake. We learned these ribbon flowers and I LOVED doing them!! They are my favorite flower. Mine turned out with the tops of the petals not as smooth as I was hoping, but I was somewhat proud of my little cake. My husband took it to work and all his co-workers gobbled it up.

From taking that class, I came out with tons of information and tips from our great instructor. And tons of supplies to play with. Here's to hoping I improve!!

No comments:

Countries I've visited

This application is created by interactive maps.
You can also have your visited countries map on your site.

If you see this message, you need to upgrade your flash player.
Make your visited countries mapJavaScript charts